Saxmundham And Villages Voluntary Youth Action Group (SAVVY)
Who are we? – A group of local volunteers, both adults and young people, who are committed to developing facilities for younger people in Saxmundham for the benefit of the town and surrounding parishes. SAVVY includes representatives from the following organisations: Saxmundham Town Council, Kelsale Parish Council, Club Sax Youth Club, Saxmundham and Framlingham Safer Neighbourhood Team, Brook Farm Residents Association, Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company and local interested residents.
What are we doing? – We hope to develop facilities for young people and local families to enjoy in and around Saxmundham. Our first main project is to refurbish and develop a new play park area and our young people identified that this should be done for the whole community. The following lists proposed actions for the group –
1. Refurbishment of the Seaman Avenue Play area. This involves updating the present outdated/tatty play equipment. We have received proposals and will be seeking grant funding from Suffolk County Council and other funds.
2. Provision of a Skate/BMX Park. This will be sited on the Memorial field. We have revised and updated the original proposals and are seeking grant funding and arranging fund raising events. A team of young people are working with skate-park design companies who will then supply detailed plans and costings. The estimated costs are in the region of £150k.
3. Positive Activities for Young People – this sub group is looking to provide new and varied activities for local young people to enjoy in Saxmundham at the Memorial Field and other local venues.
4. Fund Raising – for all projects and activities.
Other suggestions include
1. Provision of an All-Weather Play Surface – for soccer, basketball, hockey and other field sports on an area adjacent to the new skate-park on the Memorial Field.
2. Clearance of the overgrown area – between Seaman Avenue and the Water Tower for the development of a fitness trail and wildlife area.
3. Establishment of a sensory garden – in the area alongside the driveway leading up to the Scout/Guide hut in the memorial Field.
We are seeking support and comments from the community so please contact us via the website or contact the SAVVY Secretary – Diane Walters, 2, New Hall, Carlton Park, Saxmundham IP17 2NJ
Tel; 01728 606691